We want to make a case for the power of facilitation, and a case for you. Actually, it’s a case that facilitation is within you. Whoever you are. A novice. A business leader. A homemaker. A village elder. Whoever you are! We say that the power of facilitation, in its most basic form, is present in everyone around us. (From the book, Power of Facilitation)
This #FACWeek we turned to friends from around the world to ask them, why do they facilitate? Their answers further strengthened our belief that facilitation is indeed a way of life and present in all of us. Here are the speakers and the key takeaways from their journey. Watch the full video below.
- Bob Dick is based in Brisbane, Australia and is is an independent scholar, an occasional academic, a coach, and a consultant in community and organisational change.
- Jamie Nicholls is based in Canberra Australia and is an internal facilitator for the Government of Australias Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) and holds a PHD in Agronomy.
- Maren Strachan is based in Brisbane, Australia and is the National Innovation Facilitator at CSIRO
- Michelle Zhang is based in Shenzhen, China and is a Leadership Consultant, Coach and Facilitator.
- Susie Hovarth is based in Brisbane, Australia and is Manager Culture and Inclusion at the Australian Taxation Office
- Nasreen Khan Nasreen is based in Delhi, India and is a Master Coach and facilitator
- Yateen Gharat is based in Mumbai INdia and is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator – CPF and Co-Author of the book – Fast Forward to Facilitation.
Key Insights around facilitation:
- Is a great at helping systems that have gone off the rails
- Gives everyone a voice
- Helps people to help themselves to solve complex problems
- Helps people to find their own answers to their own questions – unlocking potential
- Helps people understand where they are, where they want to be and how they want to get there
- Provides safe processes to help people with diverse perspectives make better decisions, which leads to better actions and thus better outcomes
Watch the Full Interviews here